Plastic Surgery for Men

Society commonly associates plastic and cosmetic surgeries or procedures with females; however, plastic surgery and other cosmetic procedures have increased in popularity among men over recent years.

Unfortunately, Health Canada and the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons do not track any Canadian data on plastic surgeries; however, the trends appear to be similar in Canada when compared to the United States.

In 2015, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (“ASAPS”) tracked 15.9 million cosmetic or plastic surgeries or procedures in the United States. Females dominated the list for the amount of cosmetic procedures, making up 92% of those that underwent procedures; however, the remaining 8% of those were men. Despite the seemingly low percentage, men still make up a large amount of the people who undergo cosmetic and plastic surgeries and procedures, when you consider there were almost 16 million in total undergoing cosmetic procedures in the year 2015 alone.

The ASAPS revealed that between 1997 and 2014, there was a large increase in males seeking cosmetic procedures. The ASAPS found that there was a 273% increase in the number of males seeking out these procedures during that timeframe; between 2009 to 2014, there was a 43% increase alone in male cosmetic procedures. By 2014, professional men were responsible for contributing approximately $14 billion annually into the American cosmetic market. As you can see, it is a common misperception that men don’t seek out ways to improve their appearance. In fact, it has become an increasingly huge market in today’s society.

The ASAPS tracked the 5 most common surgical procedures that men underwent in 2015.

  • 1. Nose reshaping: 53, 248 men
  • 2. Eyelid surgery: 29, 906 men
  • 3. Breast reduction surgery for men: 27, 456 men
  • 4. Liposuction: 25, 656 men
  • 5. Facelift: 11, 963 men

The most common surgical procedure we perform for males at Dr. Kara Plastic Surgery is male breast reduction. Below you will see before and after photos of a recent male breast reduction procedure.

Before and after skin rejuvenation
Before and after skin rejuvenation

The most commonly sited reason for males to seek out cosmetic surgeries is that they view it as an investment into their career. Men understand that when they are at the top of their game, career wise, they feel and look young, vibrant and confident. When their appearance starts to shift as they age, so too does their confidence and some men begin to seek out options to help them keep up appearances. While there are many reasons males seek out cosmetic surgery, the connection many men make between their appearance and their career is at the top of the list.

We understand that men can be shy about undertaking cosmetic procedures aimed at improving appearance, due to masculine stereotypes and stigmas. We would encourage you to contact us for a consultation to see whether we can help you achieve your desired goals.

Fill out my online form.